Yulee Sugar Mill Ruins
David Levy Yulee, one of Florida's first United States Senators and the first Jewish member of that body, operated a 5,100-acre plantation on this site.
Constructed in 1851 using expensive machinery shipped down from New York, the Yulee Sugar Mill operated until 1864, supplying sugar, syrup and molasses to Confederate troops during the Civil War.
After Florida seceded from the Union, Yulee resigned his Senate seat and remained in Florida until the end of the war. In May 1864, Union troops destroyed Yulee's Margarita Plantation home and his stockpile of supplies at Homosassa, but failed to locate and destroy the mill.
The mill, however, was abandoned and did not resume operations. Imprisoned at the end of the war for his support of the Confederacy, upon his release Yulee returned to his Florida railroad interests. The park contains the ruins of the once-thriving sugar plantation, including the steam boiler, crushing machinery, and large cooking kettles.
For more information visit:
www.floridastateparks.org/yuleesugarmill
Information provided by the Florida Department of State.