Wesley United Methodist

This congregation’s beginnings can be traced

to a visit from Methodist pioneer Francis Asbury

to a gathering of farm families at the home of

Abraham Harris on September 24, 1779. A prominent

local landowner, Mr. Harris later conveyed a

substantial portion of the land upon which the

Town of Georgetown was built. For many years this

local Methodist “Society” met in the homes of

its members. In April 1802, the congregation

purchased a lot of land on West Pine Street,

just east of South Lane, where a frame house of

worship know as “Wesley Chapel” was erected.

After fire destroyed this structure, a second

building was constructed nearby on land purchased

in 1806 from John Russell. This site is now part

of the “old Methodist cemetery”.

On July 9, 1859, the growing congregation purchased

a lot of land on North Race Street, south of Cooper

Alley, for the site of a new church. The building

was completed and dedicated in 1865. By the 1890’s,

it was very evident that a larger sanctuary was

needed. Under the leadership of the Rev. Charles

A. Grise, the lot where the present church stands

was purchased in 1896. Construction of the

modified-gothic design building was completed the

following year. Church treasurer William J. McNatt

served as supervising architect, and John Barr

was the contractor. A formal dedication service

was held on March 7, 1897.

The adjoining parsonage was built in 1907. The Willie

M. Jones Memorial Hall was constructed in 1928,

and the Education Building in 1956-57.

Marker is on North Race Street, on the right when traveling north.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB