“The Bank Road”

The Cumberland Turnpike Road

The portion of this highway from the west end of the Conococheague bridge to Cumberland (40 miles) was built between 1816 and 1821. The banks of Maryland financed it by purchase of the stock.

Marker is on National Pike (U.S. 40) 0.7 miles west of Wilson Bridge Park Lane, on the right when traveling west.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB