Suwannee River State Park

About a quarter mile past the ranger station, a high bluff overlooks the spot where the Withlacoochee River joins the Suwannee River on its way to the Gulf of Mexico. Vestiges of history in the park show how important the Suwannee River was to Florida history.

In 1863, Confederate troops constructed earthenwork fortifications on a high bluff overlooking the junction where the Withlacoochee River joins the Suwannee River, a portion of which is preserved in this state park. These earthworks were constructed to protect the railroad bridge crossing the Suwannee River at the town of Columbus, a vital link in the cross-state transportation of troops and supplies.

Destruction of this key bridge was one objective of the Union expedition intoFlorida in February 1864, which culminatedin their defeat at the Battle of Olustee. The bridge was not threatened again for the duration of the war.

The only extant remnant of the town of Columbus is the Columbus Cemetery, which is also located within the park boundaries. The Confederate earthworks in the park can be viewed from a wooden walkway along the fortification.

Interpretive signage provides information on historic sites within the park.

www.floridastateparks.org/suwanneeriver

Information Provided by the Florida Department of State.