St. Vincent de Paul Church

Third oldest Catholic Church in Baltimore.

Noted for the rare purity of Georgian architecture.

Cornerstone laid May 21, 1840 by Archbishop Eccleston and the bishops of the Fourth Provincial Council.

Dedicated by Archbishop Eccleston November 7, 1841.

Consecrated by Archbishop Gibbons March 25, 1879.

Second balcony for slaves removed 1873.

Fourteen bell carillon hung 1883.

Side balconies removed and altar baldachin erected 1885.

Restored and stained glass windows installed 1941.

Sanctuary renovated for communal liturgy 1972.

Named to the National Register of Historic Places of the United States for its historic and architectural value by the Secretary of the Interior 1974.

Marker is on North Front Street.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB