Marshall Plantation

A State Historical Marker for the Marshall Plantation Site is located a short distance south of the sugar plantation of Jehu Foster Marshall. From South Carolina, Marshall established his Florida plantation in 1855.

At the outbreak of the war, Marshall returned to his native state to serve as colonel in Orr's 1st South Carolina Rifles, and was killed at the Battle of Second Bull Run (Second Manassas) in August 1862.

Under the supervision of his widow, the plantation continued to supply syrup and sugar to the Confederacy. In March 1865, an expedition of U.S. Colored Troops from Jacksonville moved south into Marion County to raid area plantations. The Marshall Plantation and sugar mill were destroyed. The Ocala Home Guard militia attacked the raiding force as they were leaving the plantation, and a running skirmish was fought to the Ocklawaha River.

The Union force withdrew across the river and set fire to the bridge, blocking the pursuit by the Home Guard. The skirmish resulted in the death of two of the Home Guard and two others mortally wounded. The Union force suffered two dead and four wounded. Once across the river, the Union force attacked the Holly Plantation and then headed for the Federal garrison at St. Augustine.

The 2nd Florida Cavalry, under the command of Captain J.J. Dickison, pursued the Union force to St. Augustine forcing them to abandon the property they had seized during the raid.

Each fall, the Ocklawaha River Raid Reenactment, including battle reenactments and other activities, commemorates the event at the Florida Carriage Museum and Resort in Weirsdale.

Information Provided by the Florida Department of State.