Historic Mt. Gilead

Methodist Church

One of the first churches in Fulton County, Mt Gilead was founded April 23, 1824, by Rev. John M. Smith (1789-1863) who is buried here. It was organized by Rev. William J. Parks. Many early settlers worshiped here and their descendants still live nearby. During the War Between the States the church was used by Confederates and Federals as a hospital. Confederate cavalry under Ross were here, August 15-16, 1864; McDowell’s Confederate Scouts, August 22, 1864. On Sunday, August 28, 1864, a skirmish took place here as fragments of the Federal 2nd Div., Army of the Cumberland, moved toward Jonesboro. The church has been rebuilt several times.

Marker is on Fairburn Road SW 0.1 miles north of Redwine Road SW, on the right when traveling north.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB