Haines Normal and Industrial Institute

Established by influential educator Lucy Craft Laney, the Haines Normal and Industrial Institute was chartered in 1886 and grew to include a Kindergarten to Junior College curriculum, the Lamar School of Nursing, and a teacher training program. Named for benefactor Francine Haines, the Institute also served the African-American community as cultural center before its replacement in 1949 with the present Laney High School. The Cauley-Wheeler Building (1924), located in the center of campus, housed the primary school and was named for philanthropist Alice Wheeler of New York and her nurse Mary Cauley, a Lamar graduate. It is the last remaining building from the original Haines campus.

Marker is on Laney Walker Boulevard near Phillips Street, on the right when traveling west.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB