Camp DuPont

First established May, 1861. The Fourth Regiment Delaware Volunteer Infantry camped here June to October 1862, whence they moved to a camp of the same name near Kennett Pike. The remustered First Delaware Regiment camped here in early February 1864, following a 30-day furlough before returning to active service in Virginia. The camp was named to honor Rear Admiral Samuel F. DuPont.

Marker is at the intersection of Faulkland Road and W. Oakland Drive, on the left when traveling west on Faulkland Road.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB