Armstrong Junior College

Armstrong Junior College was founded on this site May 27, 1935 by the City of Savannah under the guidance of Mayor Thomas Gamble. The college was named for George Ferguson Armstrong (1868-1924), a native of Guyton, Georgia, who had this house constructed as his

residence. Armstrong was nationally recognized for his maritime ingenuity at Strachan Shipping Company. He held membership in the Cotton Exchange and the Oglethorpe Club. He was a member of the First Baptist Church and was respected for his civic dedication and

philanthropy. To honor him, Lucy Camp Armstrong Moitz and her daughter Lucy Armstrong Johnson gave Armstrong House to the City of Savannah.

This granite and glazed-brick, Italian Renaissance mansion was designed by architect Henrik Wallin and built between 1916-1919. Olaf Otto was the general contractor. Classes

began in September 1935 with 175 students in what “The Atlanta Constitution” called “the finest and most costly junior college in the United States.”

In 1959 Armstrong College became a part of the University System of Georgia and was designated a four year institution in 1964. Two years later Armstrong State College moved to a new campus in Southside Savannah. Historic Savannah Foundation preserved the

property. The mansion was acquired in 1970 by members of the Law firm of Bouhan, Williams & Levy.

Marker is on Bull Street near Gaston Street, on the right when traveling south.

Courtesy hmdb.org

Credits and Sources:

HMDB